At Mogan Daniels Slager LLP we seek to partner with our business clients to help them achieve their goals. This begins with a serious commitment on our part to understand our clients, their business, the marketplace in which our clients operate and the people in the client organization. We use a systematic approach to the provision of legal services to business clients including our comprehensive annual legal audit and review. Most services are provided on a fixed fee basis, which means no surprises. We would be pleased to introduce prospective clients to our satisfied business clients to show what our systematic and client-centred approach can accomplish.
Our services to businesses include:
- M&A and private equity transactions;
- venture capital and growth capital;
- business law advice; and
- corporate services.
We also have significant experience creating employee ownership structures, private equity fund formation, joint ventures, and shareholders’ and partnership agreements.
M&A and Private
A significant part of our practice consists of guiding and assisting purchasers, vendors, management teams and private equity funds in a wide variety of mergers and acquisitions and similar transactions, including:
- asset purchase and share purchase transactions;
- management buy-outs, divestments, and sales of non-core assets or divisions;
- helping our clients plan for and implement business succession, including by way of a partial or total sale of a business or adding experienced management;
- assisting in the sale of businesses through asset and share transactions, including partial and total sales to private equity funds, management or strategic purchasers; and
- private equity acquisition and disposition, as well as private equity fund formation.
We guide and assist in a wide variety of commercial transactions and other business law matters. We seek to provide practical legal advice that is sensitive to the business context and relationships (and goodwill) and which meets the objectives of the parties.
Services in this area include:
- documenting and assisting in corporate and tax reorganization, estate planning and succession planning;
- advising in and preparing documentation for a broad range of business arrangements, including employment contracts, leasing arrangements, sale of goods and services, shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, insurance matters, software development and licensing, construction contracts, commercial real estate matters, restrictive covenants, agency agreements and distribution arrangements;
- assisting in intellectual property protection through trademark services, license agreements, non-disclosure, non-competition and confidentiality agreements;
- developing employee incentive programs including option programs;
- assisting our clients in dispute resolution through negotiation and mediation; and
- providing business law background and support on arbitration and litigation matters.
and Growth Capital
Mogan Daniels Slager LLP works with dynamic businesses by helping them find ways to raise capital to fund their development and growth. Services in this area include:
- acting for companies, angel investors and venture capital funds on all stages of venture capital financings (A, B and C rounds, and thereafter if need be);
- acting for borrowers on senior debt and mezzanine and subordinated debt financings;
- helping clients develop realistic and sustainable financing plans and strategies;
- helping businesses access government funding through venture capital programs (such as the BC Eligible Business Corporation program) and employee share ownership (“ESOP”) programs;
- raising capital through employee share ownership plans; and
- using the franchising model to raise capital.
The Corporate Services Department of Mogan Daniels Slager LLP maintains the corporate records of our corporate, society and limited partnership clients. We act as registered and records office and prepare the annual corporate filings for over 550 companies.
Specific services include:
- incorporation of companies in BC and Alberta, and under the Canada Business Corporations Act (federal) and extra-provincial registrations in BC and Alberta;
- incorporation of BC societies and federal non-share capital corporations and charitable registrations;
- registration of partnerships and limited partnerships in BC and Alberta;
- share transfers, share capital alterations, corporate reorganizations, amalgamations and plans of arrangements;
- annual filings and record book maintenance for companies, societies and partnerships; and
- name and trademark registrations.